Is a career in international admissions right for you? with Rebecca HansenJul 02, 2021
A big thank you to our sponsors and partners who keep this podcast and newsletter free to our community:
- Power-up your online business and digital marketing with Kajabi, the #1 all-in-one course hosting and marketing platform for organizations gearing up for the knowledge economy. Get a 30-day Free Trial here! (aff link)
- Not a graphic designer but need stunning graphics? Create stunning graphics with ease using Canva's intuitive design platform built for non-designers. Choose from a wide range of customizable templates and design tools to bring your creative visions to life. Get a 30-day free trial of Canva Pro. (aff link)
So many people who pursue a career in international education dream of a job that allows them to jet set to far away countries every other week.
While that's not a realistic view of what we do in global education, the closest career track that comes to it is International Admissions.
But what happens when you can't travel - or even leave your own home? How does international admissions work then?
In today's episode, I'm talking with Rebecca Hansen, Assistant Director of International Admissions at Northern Kentucky University, about her career in international admissions and more.
In this conversation you'll learn:
- Why Rebecca was told she was over qualified for her first job as an undergrad
- How she landed her first job in international admissions
- What are the key skills and characteristics someone needs to be successful in international admissions
- What exactly is a "professional extrovert"
- A summary of what an international admissions recruiter actually does
- Why international admissions is crucial to internationalization
- Her Covid story - where she was, what happened, and more
- How her institution responded to the crisis
- What the next year for international admissions might look like
- How you can learn the foundations of being an international admission recruiter
- Camera: https://amzn.to/3hau6Qk
- Tripod: https://amzn.to/2SGi5IN
- Small Tripod: https://amzn.to/364xLsz
- Microphone: https://amzn.to/3hc9hDO
- Boom Arm: https://amzn.to/2SEdgQa
- Lighting: https://amzn.to/3hoIZgE
Whenever you're ready, there are 2 ways I can help you:
1. If you're still looking for traction in your global education career, I'd recommend starting with an affordable course:
→ The Global Pro Labs & Certificate Program: Gain the skills and foundational knowledge needed to launch and grow a career in global education. These Labs focus on five core functional areas of the field that every global education professional should understand. Receive a Certificate of Completion to share on LinkedIn. Join 150+ students here.
→ The Global Pro Career Institute: Steal my secrets that have helped me and my students build standout personal brands, stunningly impressive bodies of work, powerhouse networks, and dream candidate applications. Join 500+ students.
2. Promote your business and brand to 17,000+ Inside Study Abroad subscribers and community members by sponsoring the podcast and newsletter.
3 Secrets To Build Your Study Abroad & Global Education Career...
Watch our free workshop on launching and leveling-up your career in global programs - and learn how I went from intern to executive in just 4 years!