From China to Oman: Building A Career Supporting International Students with Jody PrittOct 07, 2021
A big thank you to our sponsors and partners who keep this podcast and newsletter free to our community:
- Power-up your online business and digital marketing with Kajabi, the #1 all-in-one course hosting and marketing platform for organizations gearing up for the knowledge economy. Get a 30-day Free Trial here! (aff link)
- Not a graphic designer but need stunning graphics? Create stunning graphics with ease using Canva's intuitive design platform built for non-designers. Choose from a wide range of customizable templates and design tools to bring your creative visions to life. Get a 30-day free trial of Canva Pro. (aff link)
Are you interested in working with international students? Have you been exploring a career in international student services? Have you wondered what it’s really like to be an international student advisor?
In this episode, Jody Pritt, Director of International Student and Scholar Services at Georgia State University is sharing all of this and more. You’ll get to hear about how Jody landed her first job working with international students, how she hustled to make her very first experience abroad a reality, and the role mentors and educators have played in shaping her academic and professional future.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISING LAB
Jody is also our guest instructor of the International Student Advising Lab where you’ll Learn how the international student visa system works in the US, the critical resources and systems you need to be successful as an ISSS advisor, plus creative ways to support international students on campus and online.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN IN THIS EPISODE:
- How Jody found her way into a career in international education
- What led Jody from rural West Virginia to living in the Chinese interior (and the biggest struggle she faced)
- The secret question Jody asks in every interview that reveals if you’re ready for a career in international student services
- The core foundation of what work in international student services is all about
- What Jody believes is the future of international student and scholar services
- How you can learn directly from Jody on how to do the work of ISSS administrators
- Why Jody fell in love with Oman and what keeps your going back
- Marshall University’s Appalachians Abroad Teach in China Program
ABOUT JODY PRITT
Jody is the Director of International Student & Scholar Services at Georgia State University.
She began her career in international education by teaching English as a foreign language in China in 2002. Since then, she earned a Masters Degree in Student Affairs Counseling and held various ISSS leadership positions at Missouri State University, the University of South Carolina, and Drury University.
Her career spans almost 20 years and includes comprehensive international student support experience ranging from enrollment management, programmatic enrichment, immigration compliance advice, and international employee administration. She's also held leadership roles at NAFSA where she has served as the Region IV treasurer, the South Carolina State Representative, the Region VII Chair, and currently the Regional Affairs Committee Chair-Elect Cohort Coach.
She is a doctoral candidate at the University of Missouri-Columbia in the Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis Program. Her dissertation will focus on the transformative outcomes of an international study experience.
Whenever you're ready, there are 2 ways I can help you:
1. If you're still looking for traction in your global education career, I'd recommend starting with an affordable course:
→ The Global Pro Labs & Certificate Program: Gain the skills and foundational knowledge needed to launch and grow a career in global education. These Labs focus on five core functional areas of the field that every global education professional should understand. Receive a Certificate of Completion to share on LinkedIn. Join 150+ students here.
→ The Global Pro Career Institute: Steal my secrets that have helped me and my students build standout personal brands, stunningly impressive bodies of work, powerhouse networks, and dream candidate applications. Join 500+ students.
2. Promote your business and brand to 17,000+ Inside Study Abroad subscribers and community members by sponsoring the podcast and newsletter.
3 Secrets To Build Your Study Abroad & Global Education Career...
Watch our free workshop on launching and leveling-up your career in global programs - and learn how I went from intern to executive in just 4 years!