The Many Names of Study Abroad & International EducationMay 27, 2021
A big thank you to our sponsors and partners who keep this podcast and newsletter free to our community:
- Power-up your online business and digital marketing with Kajabi, the #1 all-in-one course hosting and marketing platform for organizations gearing up for the knowledge economy. Get a 30-day Free Trial here! (aff link)
- Not a graphic designer but need stunning graphics? Create stunning graphics with ease using Canva's intuitive design platform built for non-designers. Choose from a wide range of customizable templates and design tools to bring your creative visions to life. Get a 30-day free trial of Canva Pro. (aff link)
Study abroad, international education, student mobility, intercultural learning? Our field has many names but which one is most accurate and what should you be saying in your applications, on Linkedin, or during job interviews?
What we do in this field encompasses so many types of program models, learning outcomes, destinations, modalities, age groups, and more - it can be difficult to know what to actually call the industry we work in or even agree on how we describe the work that we do.
In this episode, Sam and Brooke unpack the historical context and evolution of the language around the work we do in global education.
What You'll Learn:
- The evolution of the term study abroad and how it continues to change to adapt to our environment even today
- What the study abroad terminology is like overseas in the UK and Europe
- How the term global learning and education can outweigh the term meaningful travel
- How the introduction of domestic exchange programs and offices became another outlet for participants and students to have that “away” experience
- Terminology is powerful; use it to your advantage and use the language they are using
- The slippery debate about the term industry vs field
Whenever you're ready, there are 2 ways I can help you:
1. If you're still looking for traction in your global education career, I'd recommend starting with an affordable course:
→ The Global Pro Labs & Certificate Program: Gain the skills and foundational knowledge needed to launch and grow a career in global education. These Labs focus on five core functional areas of the field that every global education professional should understand. Receive a Certificate of Completion to share on LinkedIn. Join 150+ students here.
→ The Global Pro Career Institute: Steal my secrets that have helped me and my students build standout personal brands, stunningly impressive bodies of work, powerhouse networks, and dream candidate applications. Join 500+ students.
2. Promote your business and brand to 17,000+ Inside Study Abroad subscribers and community members by sponsoring the podcast and newsletter.
3 Secrets To Build Your Study Abroad & Global Education Career...
Watch our free workshop on launching and leveling-up your career in global programs - and learn how I went from intern to executive in just 4 years!